In the year 1917, Chao Phraya Thammasakmontri, (Sanan Thep-Hassadin Na Ayutthaya) the Ministry of Education (former “Dhammakarn”) established an Agricultural Primary Teachers’ Training School at Horwang area, or Ban Suan Suuang Sa-Pratum, the current national stadium, called "Horwang Primary School Teachers' Training School." Therefore, it was the starting point of the idea and state activities for the education of new agricultural plans.
In the year 1934, the Ministry of Education established a Northern Agricultural Primary Teachers’ Training School by accepting students from those who had completed the Secondary Education at Grade 12 (Mattayom Suksa 6) of a 2-year curriculum plan and
had Pra-Chuang Kasetsilp as the head of the West Agricultural Experiment Station as a teacher.
In the year 1936, the Ministry of Education established the "Extraordinary Secondary School of Agriculture, Northern Region" by using the facilities in conjunction with the Primary Agricultural Teachers' Training School in the North. This newly-established school offered a four-year program and accepted students from those who had completed their high school at Grade 10. When the students graduated from the program, the Ministry of Education assigned their academic ranks equivalent to the Secondary School at Grade 14. (Mattayom Suksa 8)
In the year 1938, the Ministry of Education dissolved the Extraordinary Secondary School of Agriculture in the South at Kho Hong, Songkhla Province, the Central Extraordinary Agricultural High School, Bangkok Noi, Thonburi, and the Extraordinary Secondary School of Agriculture in the Northeastern Region at Non-Wat, Nakhon Ratchasima Province, and transferred all students and businesses of those schools to the Northern Agricultural Extraordinary Secondary School at Maejo only. In the same year, the business of this school was transferred from the Ministry of Education to the Ministry of Agriculture and its name was changed to Maejo Agricultural College. It accepted those students who graduated from the extraordinary agricultural high schools to study in a 3-year diploma program in Agriculture Cooperative and Forestry.
In 1939, the Ministry of Agriculture established Kasetsart College at Kaset Klang, Bang Khen in Bangkok and the Northern Agricultural Extraordinary Secondary School at Maejo offered a 2-year program for those students who finished their secondary education (Mattayom Suksa 6) to get into Kasetsart College.
In the year 1943, the Northern Agricultural Extraordinary Secondary School at Maejo changed its name to "the Preparatory School for Kasetsart University (or Triam Udom Suksa School of Kasetsart University) because Kasetsart College at Bang Khen was established as Kasetsart University.
In 1948, the Ministry of Agriculture transferred its business to the Department of Vocational Education, Ministry of Education and changed the Preparatory School for Kasetsart University to "Maejo Agricultural School" and accepted those students who graduated from Mattayom Suksa 6 (or M. 3 now) to study for another 3 years and then they received a High Vocational Certificate in Agriculture. This program started operation from 1949 onwards.
In 1956, Maejo Agricultural School was raised to Chiang Mai Agricultural College and expanded its curriculum to the Secondary School Teachers Certificate in Agriculture (SSTC in Agriculture).
In 1962, the business of the Secondary School Teachers Certificate in Agriculture was transferred to Bangpra Agricultural College in Sri-Racha District, Cholburi Province, and offered Technical Agriculture Program or the Higher Professional Certificate in Agriculture for the first time
In 1975, Bangpra Agricultural College was established as the "Institute of Agricultural Technology" by the Institute of Agricultural Technology Act 1975.
In 1982, the name of the Institute of Agricultural Technology was changed to Maejo Agricultural Technology Institute according to the announcement in the Royal Gazette, Special Issue Page 4, Volume 99, Section 15, Government Gazette on February 3, 1982. The main reason was that the name Chiangmai Agriculture College or Maejo Agriculture College was a well-known name and everyone in the country knew it well because its students came from all regions of the country. When it was raised to the Institute of Agricultural Technology, the general public did not know what it was. Therefore, it was reasonable and appropriate to change the name of the Institute of Agricultural Technology to Maejo Agricultural Technology Institute.
In 1996, Maejo Agricultural Technology Institute was established as a Maejo University on November 11, 1996, to expand the scope of education and create greater academic and administrative flexibility. Currently, bachelor's to doctorate degrees are offered with a wide range of disciplines in addition to agriculture, where Maejo has specialized expertise in practice since the period of vocational education. It expands its campuses to various regions. The first campus is Maejo University in Prae (Maejo-Prae Chalerm-Phra-Kiat or Maejo Royal Honorary University campus) is located in Rong Kwang District in Phrae Province and Maejo University in Chumphon in Lamae District, Chumphon Province.
Recently, Maejo University has changed its status once again from a state university to an autonomous university according to the Maejo University Act 2017, which was published in the Government Gazette on April 5, 2017, and was effective for 30 days from the date of its publication in the Government Gazette onwards. Iy was effective on May 6, 2017.
Therefore, the aforementioned brief story shows explicitly that this house has a long history before being "today" or "Maejo University".